If you are a buyer or a seller in a real estate transaction and represented by an agent, that agent owes you fiduciary duties or loyalty. Often times agency is contracted (also known as express agency) but other times it can be implied. In any case, there is an acronym to remember those duties: OLD CAR.
The agent must obey their client’s instructions. As long as their instructions are not illegal and are in accordance with the contract.
The agent must be loyal to their client and keep their best interests ahead of those of any other party. Commission, how it is disbursed, competing offer situations, and anything having to do with the sale must be disclosed.
Disclosure laws in many states require a real estate agent, whether in an “agency” capacity or not, to disclose material facts to their client. Material facts are those that, if known by the buyer or seller, might cause them to change their purchase or sale actions.
Confidentiality means that the agent does not disclose anything about you as the client (your business, financial or personal affairs or motivations) unless expressly directed by the client. This duty survives closing and lasts forever. Only a court instruction to disclose can relieve the agent of this duty.
The agent is to promptly report to the principal all money and property received and paid out. Accounting for all documents and funds in the transaction is a fiduciary duty.
The agent is required to have a certain level of knowledge and protect the principal from foreseeable risks of harm. If it’s not something the agent is expected to know, they should recommend that the principal obtain expert advice or assistance when the principal’s needs are outside the scope of the agent’s expertise.
3BR/2BA Raised Ranch | $369K
Well maintained Raised Ranch in South Walpole. This 3 bedroom / 2 full bath home comes with cathedral ceilings and hardwood floors in the dining room and living room. The added family room with gas fireplace will have you warming up just in time for the winter. With original and well maintained woodwork, the character of this home jumps right out at you. The lower level with a fireplace adds extra living space and storage. Call to see this today and be home for the holidays!
Featured Property Slideshow
Walpole MA ListingsWalpole, MA - $374,900 - Single-Family - Cape - Rooms:7 - Beds:3 - Baths:215 hours agoWalpole, MA - $250,000 - Single-Family - Ranch - Rooms:6 - Beds:2 - Baths:2Walpole, MA - $399,900 - Single-Family - Colonial - Rooms:7 - Beds:3 - Baths:1/1Walpole, MA - $249,900 - Single-Family - Ranch - Rooms:5 - Beds:2 - Baths:1
Foxboro MA ListingsFoxboro, MA - $399,900 - Single-Family - Colonial - Rooms:6 - Beds:3 - Baths:2/114 hours agoFoxboro, MA - $1,900 - Rentals - - Rooms:5 - Beds:3 - Baths:2Foxboro, MA - $214,900 - Single-Family - Bungalow - Rooms:6 - Beds:1 - Baths:1Foxboro, MA - $1,500 - Rentals - - Rooms:6 - Beds:3 - Baths:2
Medfield MA ListingsMedfield, MA - $499,900 - Single-Family - Cape - Rooms:7 - Beds:3 - Baths:2Medfield, MA - $1,775 - Rentals - - Rooms:5 - Beds:3 - Baths:1/1Medfield, MA - $539,900 - Single-Family - Ranch - Rooms:8 - Beds:4 - Baths:2/1Medfield, MA - $294,900 - Condo - Townhouse - Rooms:5 - Beds:3 - Baths:1/1
- Icy Roads, Suspicious Cars and Activity, and More December 9, 2013The following information was provided by the Medfield Police Department. Where arrests or charges are mentioned, it does not indicate a conviction. […]
- This Norwood School Really Rocks December 7, 2013Back in the day, Tom Brunelle and Ed Jackowski knew each other from playing on the local music scene. […]
- Town Manager Discusses Norton Traffic With State Officials December 6, 2013Norton Town Manager Michael Yunits said he recently sat down with state officials to discuss persistent traffic problems in town. […]
- Unemployment rate drops to 7 percent, lowest in five years December 6, 2013An advertisement in the classified section of the Boston Herald newspaper calls attention to possible employment opportunities in Walpole, Mass. […]
- New jobs report shows November hiring robust December 6, 2013An advertisement in the classified section of the Boston Herald newspaper calls attention to possible employment opportunities in Walpole, Mass. […]
- Somerville waste company must November 29, 2013A Somerville waste disposal company must pay $90,000 as a result of a two-year investigation by the state attorney general's office into wage law violations. […]
- Icy Roads, Suspicious Cars and Activity, and More December 9, 2013